Harland & Wolff HQ and Drawing Offices
Located in the Titanic Quarter of Queens Quay in Belfast the Titanic drawing offices can still be visited today. These offices are where the plans for Titanic and sister ship Olympic were devised.
This three-storey office block in sandstone and brick was built in stages between c.1900-1919. The building was the administration and drawing office centre for the world famous Harland & Wolff shipyard. The offices of Lord Pirrie, Thomas Andrews and Alexander Carlisle were also located in this building.
The oldest sections of the building appear to be the two former Drawing Offices, which retain a cathedral-like atmosphere and are located to the ground floor rear of the building.
Although the building contains a number of other drawing offices e.g. the Admiralty Drawing Office, it is the association of the two grand ground floor Drawing Offices with the production of both the concept design and detailed construction drawings for RMS Titanic & Olympic for which it is best known.
The building was the hub of the Harland & Wolff empire which at its peak had over 50,000 employees in the UK - 30,000 in Belfast.
The Headquarters building remained in use by Harland & Wolff until October 1989. However now owned by Titanic Quarter Ltd, it represents the ‘jewel in the crown' in the regeneration of the 185 acre Titanic Quarter development site.
Titanic Drawing Offices are open to the public as part of Titanic Belfast Discovery Tour.
21 Oct 2014 ‐ 2 Nov 2014
A Sited in one of Belfast’s most historic buildings, the atmospheric Titanic Drawing Offices, Resistance by Liz Crow is a timely and hopeful work exploring issues of...